Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Random Thoughts about This Strange Place

You know, some things about Europe are actually quite annoying - like the fact that one wine glass of water costs €2,50, and there are no laundromats when you need them. And German toilet paper is what we in America would call paper towels. :-/ But here in Germany, postage is cheap! Less than half of what it was in Belgium and significantly less than everywhere else. Yay for Germany!

There are also a lot of couples here i Europe. Maybe it's that they're more obvious than they are in the States, or maybe it's that these are the kind of places you go with your lover. Either way, almost every person that walks by is holding someone's hand, and couples talk and laugh and kiss on street corners (although I have yet to see anyone being gross). Really, I think it's because of the culture - people here don't frown on public displays of affection, and there are so many young people in these cities, so there are couples everywhere. I think it's cute. It makes me happy to see people being happy together - genuinely happy -instead of marching soullessly along like in New York and places. Enjoying each other, enjoying life. It helps that they're all beautiful and classy and stylish and speak pretty languages, of course, but still.

I also love the public transport in these places. Sure, I know that's a city thing, not a Europe thing, but I love it. Genius idea. I realize it would be totally ridiculous, but I wish Denton had a tram/metro/bus system that was actually useful. Siiiiiigh....

Hm. What else? Most people speak English. Seriously, there's rarely reason to say any Dutch/German anywhere because people just talk to you in English, at least in the touristy areas. People often address me in not-English, however - I guess because I don't often say much and I kind of look like the people here. That can be awkward. I enjoyed it when we were in French country - now that we're in German land I feel very much at a disadvantage.

Also, I found this lock and this flower and this happy crocodile and this weirdo, and because they don't have much to do with my trip today, I'm going to include them here. Enjoy the many quirks of Europe!



1 comment:

  1. The lover's lock is a recognized thing around the world. I think it originated in Japan or somewhere in Asia. In Paris, for example, there are some bridges that are covered in little engraved locks. Your picture of the lock is very cute because it has a distinct story of two people in love from somewhere in the world who put it there intentionally and they have complex stories of their own...

    ReplyDelete