Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 2: Rain, Trains, and Serendipitous Stones in London

It's proving quite difficult to find free wifi, so my posts are not exactly coming out as they happen. :-/ Hopefully the hotels I will be staying in from here on out will be more tech-friendly.

Right now I am about to head off on a train from London to Brussels. It will be the first time I've been back since we left twelve years ago. I wonder how much I will recognize.

Yesterday night we spontaneously decided to go see Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre in the middle of the city. It was a spectacular performance - literally, the visual effects and set were amazing, and of course the singing was good, too. The theatre itself was beautiful, built in the 19th century, and covered in gold naked cherubs and angels being fondled by angry gods. I wish I could have taken pictures.

This morning after breakfast I headed off into the city on my own as my grandparents packed. The British Royal Museum was just around the corner from our hotel, so I walked over there and looked inside the free exhibits. And what did I come across? The Rosetta Stone, of course!

How could I have forgotten that it was housed there? I spent a good portion of my childhood pouring over Egyptology books. I have studied at length the Stone's discovery and importance - seeing it in person, suddenly and unexpectedly, was a delightful spot of serendipity that made my brief stay in London all the more fascinating.

1 comment: