Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Most Adventurous Day in the Life of my Shirt.

I am Ariel's shirt. She usually wears me to sleep in, which is why I was concerned when yesterday I was far, far away from her at bedtime. I knew she'd be confused and worried, but as I have no legs, it was a hopeless case.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I may be old and have holes and stains, but I have The Beatles on me, so that makes me awesome. I used to belong to a boy for a long time, but he gave me to Ariel, which makes me happy because she wears me aaaaaaaall the time. :)

So that's why I wasn't too surprised when she threw me on top of the bag that I live in with her other clothes when she was hurrying to leave in the morning. She even looked at me and muttered, "Yeah, that'll be fine there, no need to put it away." You know, I'm kind of glad she didn't.

So there I was peacefully sleeping when the door opens and two ladies come in with a big cart. They start vacuuming and putting the sheets back where they belong (silly sheets, always running away). But when she brought the towels out of the bathroom, she dropped one right on top of me! And that towel was big and fluffy and MEAN, so when she went to pick him up again, he took me with him!

We got thrown in to a giant cart full of towels, all squirming and white. I figured, since I am dark grey, someone would see me and put me back where I belonged. But we went down the elevator and no one even noticed!

I was starting to get seriously concerned - who would know where to bring me home to? We'd been sleeping in lot of different beds lately - what if Ariel left without me? :(

Suddenly, I felt a hand pluck me out of the towel bin! Hope rose in my collar. Someone found me and would put me back!

I heard voices talking in words I didn't understand, and rough hand balling me up. I was tossed to one side and left there for hours.

Ariel would be back by now. Maybe she would even be looking for me. But I was gone. I was probably going to be composted. My sleeves were limp with despondency.

Then I felt someone pawing at me, unfolding me. Words of admiration in that strange tongue. Smelling me gingerly, but I smell just fine, thank you. I had a bath not two days ago! The person shoved me awkwardly into a jacket pocket and walked a short distance and sat down.

It was definitely full night now. Ariel was probably asleep. I wondered who she was wearing and if I would ever . see her again. The person went into a place that was very noisy and very smoky and had lots of people inside. There's no way I would smell good now. He say down, and I flopped around a bit before he took off his jacket - with me inside - and slung it over a chai. I was almost touching the ground now, and maaaaybe, if I tried reeeeeally hard, I could escape onto the floor.

As the night progressed and my captor kept on sitting there talking, I inched my way out of the pocket, stitch by stitch. Just before the man stood up and took his jacket, I managed to yank the last corner of my hem down onto the carpet.

I waited there for just a few hours, uncertain of the future. Then two ladies picked me up, talking and laughing at me a little, before throwing me in a box with some old, grimy socks and a depressed scarf or two behind a counter. She talked to a couple of people about room reservations. I was still inside the hotel! Hope flared up again.

Still, I waited and waited and waited and no signs of Ariel. That is, until the lady fished me out of that stinking box. I heard someone ask, "Does it have the Beatles on it?" and a faint reply, "Yeah, it does," then Ariel was there, grabbing me! I was flooding with joy, from the tips of my sleeves to the edge of my hem.

But the lady was speaking:

"We did not find it in your room," she said. And then with a grin, "It was in the bar. We figured someone was getting naked there last night."

"Ummm..." Ariel said awkwardly, "I have no idea how that happened. That's actually a little creepy. But it's definitely mine."

So the lady handed me over and Ariel put me away in my home. It was such a relief to see my old friends again! Though I hope I get another bath before Ariel wears me again. It's been quite an adventure for a shirt - even more than when the boy owned me and he would do crazy things. I am very, very glad to be home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment