Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"So how'd your first day go, Ariel?"


Well, Internet, it went pretty darn well! College really does keep getting better and better! (Of course, I say that now, before I have any huge assignments. We'll see how I feel in a month.)

First, I woke up stupidly early so I could make sure I'd be in class on time because it's a freaking long walk to the Language Building from Honors Hall. But instead of walking, I took the bus! It was incredibly efficient (and air conditioned!) and pulls up right around the corner from my dorm. Definitely my new mode of transportation for the wee nine AM hours of the morning. 

My first class (when I found it) was Intermediate French. Though my teacher is a really nice tall, thin blonde woman from Denmark ("Un petit pays, mais tres important!"), the class is almost certainly too elementary for me. I foresee it being fairly boring at best, though not hard, which is why I'm not getting out of it for the first semester. I would place it somewhere between Pre-AP French 2 and Regular French 3 in high school. But review is good, I suppose. 

Then I had an hour break, during which I discovered (and utilized!) the Language computer lab to print out my syllabi before heading to Intro to Literary Analysis and Interpretation. Also taught by a nice, tall, thin blonde woman, this class is freaking amazing. Though (thankfully) it's not beyond me, I think I'll learn a lot from the animated Dr. Coffelt, and I'm looking forward to this class more than any other. Still, I was surprised by the people--supposedly all English majors--who did not fit the type, or any variation of the type, or any variation of the variation of the type, or pretty much didn't seem like English people. But I guess people can surprise. 

Next was my mad dash to the (exhaustingly confusing) Music building for "Music in the Human Imagination" (except really it's Music Appreciation, though they want to trick you into thinking otherwise). Though the professor and class seem unremarkable, it will be easy and maybe I'll learn a little more about how music works and why we like what we like, which really will make my life easier when Jackson asks me to give an opinion of a song and all I can come up with is, "Yeah. That sounds good. Yeah. Good." 

Then I had a lovely two-and-a-half hour break which I used running errands around campus and organizing myself. I went to lunch at Maple, the vegan hall (brilliant!), and happened to meet a girl who would later be in my Archaeology class later in the day. When I finally made it to Archaeology, we met the gloriously laid back Professor Byers, or Johnny, as he likes to be called ("My mother named me Johnny, not Professor, and not Byers. I'm emotionally attached to Johnny, and therefore more likely to respond."). He let us (all two hundred of us, in my only lecture hall class) go an hour early, and hinted that he'd do that regularly if we got through everything. Thank goodness for this, because I do not want to be in class until five pm. Like, never. 

And finally, after running all around campus to find the only working ATM, the lovely Lah-oo-Rah came to visit and ate dinner (again at Maple!) with me, Jena, and Britney (Jena's roommate). It was a lovely time. Then us Honors Hall kids watched (or were gently forced to watch) a documentary about how evil the bottled water industry is (I TOLD YOU!). 

Sorry for how crappily this is written; it's late, and I'm tired, but this stuff is important or something. Blah blah blah another day of this tomorrow....



2 comments:

  1. HOW IS YOUR ARCHAEOLOGY CLASS? MINE IS AMAZINGLY AMAZING AND AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Your Archaeology professor sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete