Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Beautiful Curiosity

What exciting times we live in. A few days ago, NASA's Curiosity landed on Mars.


The Curiosity's mission is to explore the Red Planet's Gale Crater, measuring and observing the martian atmosphere, climate, and evidence of water. The little guy will also be testing to see if Mars ever could have supported life. 



Though the rover is upwards of 150 million miles away, NASA is able to receive breathtaking images with a delay of just fourteen minutes. 


In my opinion, this is freaking incredible. I think space travel and space science are some of the most important, meaningful things we are exploring as a race today. It's easy to forget how small and arguably insignificant we are in the scope of the Universe, but also how extraordinary and beautiful that Universe is. We are lucky to live in such a magnificent place and in a time where we can experience that magnificence firsthand. It is humbling, and exhilarating. I am giddy with excitement.


It is when I see things like this that I forget why we have myths or fiction. For me, oftentimes the reality of our vast Universe is magical enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment