Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Surprise! Summer Reading. -_-

So, I got a package today. From UNT Honors College. Containing a book. Which book, you ask? This one:

Yes, that's right! Elie Wiesel's Night. Which I read in 8th grade. And now I have to read by move-in on August 25th. 

This is what I get for making fun of all my friends who have to do the same thing. 

On the one hand, I think the way they did this was pretty cool. By not telling us about this (oh so joyous) project until two months of summer has passed, we weren't burdened with it and got to actually enjoy ourselves for a while. Also, the fact that they bought the book for me is amazing. I mean, UNT must have bought two thousand copies of this book, all so kids don't have the excuse of not being able to find or afford it! And this isn't even for a grade! I must say, I'm impressed. 

But on the other hand, this book--though good--is so freaking depressing. It's about the Holocaust, which I am very much burnt out on. I feel like I've done my duty to humanity, learned as much as I could about this horrible and immense tragedy, and of course couldn't make any more sense of it than anyone else. If there's ever another genocide of this scale, I will not be the cause of it, nor will I support it or turn a blind eye to it. Nor will I tolerate those ignoramuses that claim "the Holocaust never happened" (insert drooling, cross-eyed face of an idiot here). I've already reached that place which is the purpose of this novel, and all other novels like it. I have infinite respect for Mr. Wiesel, but his book is not one I particularly want to read twice. 

But, alas, I will. Because I'm me, and I just can't help myself. Sigh... :-/

Also, I'm disgustingly sick. Which sucks because it's summer. And because I'm sick, I'm missing a cooking-dinner date with my friends and hanging out with Jackson (who is also sick (sorry about that)). I swear I've slept more hours than I've been awake in the last twenty-four or more hours. And every time I think I'm mostly better, that I can't possibly sleep another minute, I get up and get dressed and feel awful again. Uuuuuuuuuuugh. :(

2 comments:

  1. ....what. Am I to receive this in the mail soon as well? I'm still contemplating not doing Honors College...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you signed up for an Honors class you probably will. Or maybe it's just an Honors Hall thing...I wasn't entirely clear on that. But if you do...yaaaaaay... -_-

      Delete