Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 29: Dramatic Arts in Dramatic Places, Frenchy Frenchness, and Scholarly Payoff.

You know what my favorite word is to begin an email? Congratulations, because it's usually followed by "You have been selected to receive" and then a sum of money in the form of a scholarship. I thought all of my congratulations were in the past (until I apply for a second round next year...ugh -_-) but this morning I had the lovely surprise of an email from UNT Scholarship Services informing me that Follet Store College Fund has awarded me $2000 for next year, as long as I write them a nice letter of thanks. So that's wonderful. There's nothing like the feeling of twelve years of work and stress finally paying off. Literally.

Then I also learned that I got a (bum bum ba-BUM) three on my French AP exam! I am psyched because I half thought I failed it. You know, a four would've been nice (five being completely out of the question), but I passed. I PASSED! This is the test I have been dreading since freshman year, and now it's over and I passed and that's that. Yes! Also, I'm sure I can max out the credits on the CLEP test no problem, so it was never really about the credits. Mostly about the shame of failing and the validation of passing. Oh god yes.

Other than those adventures, we went to the Minack Theatre today. As I'm sure few of you understand the significance of that, take a look at the pictures below. This theatre, built in the 1930s pretty much single-handedly by a badass woman named Rowena Cade, is situated spectacularly over the sea on a Cornish cliffside near Penzance. It's a very dramatic backdrop for a very dramatic place; the round stage with its various levels and columns and arches is very aesthetically pleasing and a perfectly versatile set for the variety of performances that grace it each week. The seats are reminiscent of ancient Roman theatres, sunk in terraces down the hillside, forming a kind of half bowl. And the show itself - Moliere's The Hypochondriac - was brilliantly done: witty, lively, ironic, and well-played. Although, it was the only show I have ever seen that had a chorus member on book the whole time, calling lines where necessary (which wasn't much, but still). Oh, it was hilarious, though! Seriously, if you get a chance to see (or be in) a Moliere play, jump on it. Or, you know, if you get the chance to come to the Minack. Absolutely spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment