Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 19: Stratford-upon-Avon, City of English Pride

Just like pretty much every English town, I'm pretty sure. The British are patriotic in a way America wishes to emulate. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as inspiring to be an American as it apparently is to be British. The thing is, Britain gives its people so many reasons to be patriotic: in the last year or do there's been the Royal Wedding, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and now the London Olympics. Also the fact that it's such a small country makes it easier to feel loyal to it. I remember when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City, I'd always think: Oh, Olympics in Utah. Not once did I feel like my country had anything to do with it. But here I am, in a place that has nothing to do with London, lining up to join in on a piece of UK pride. It's kind of cool, actually. Too bad being "Proud to be an American" doesn't always mean what it should, has more to do with politics than heritage, at least where I'm from.

Really, I apologize. I shouldn't rant so much on my blog. It's probably bad or something.

But there went the torch! Carried by an old man. I have no idea who it was, but he was happy and cute and surrounded, I'm pretty sure, by Olympic athletes for this year. It's funny to me that it was preceded by gigantic vans of almost every color: a blue Sony (?) van passing out flags, a green bank van passing out ribbons, a red Coke can passing out sodas and frisbees, and a yellow Olympic Torch entourage van containing more athletes. Unfortunately, I was handed nothing exciting, even though I had a prime spot right by the railing which I stood for an hour to snag.

Oh, oh! I forgot to mention the baby cheerleaders! They were about a dozen girls aged eightish to thirteenish wearing Union Jack leggings and singing that stupid song, "Everywhere we go-! (everywhere we go-!) People always ask us-! (People always ask us-!) Who we are-! (Who we are-!) etc etc) over and over and over again at the top of their squeaky little-girl voices. The thing that struck me, though, was how bad they were. Their moves were simple and uncoordinated and awkward. But you know what, Texas? They're eight. They're SUPPOSED to be gangly and out of step and dressed in butt-covering, torso-hiding children's outfits, because they are NOT sexy adult women. I kind of liked their performance because it didn't make my skin crawl watching them; unlike the baby cheerleaders I've seen parading around my town in pink bras and skirts-that-don't-even-pretend-to-cover-anything, these girls looked like girls instead of sick dolls training up to be the high school whores we know and love.

Oh wait. I said I wouldn't rant anymore. Sorry! It's this being alone that's getting to me - no one to rant with! I don't mean to offend anyone. But hey, you're the one who's voluntarily reading my blog.

Anyway, I also went to the Nash House and New Place, where Shakespeare spent his last days. There's actually quite an interesting narrative about how the house changed hands over the years and was eventually torn down by an old, resentful rich man. But on the site now is an archaeological dig in the progress of uncovering the foundations of the Bard's home as well as the 13th century building it was built on top of. So that was neat.

Then I went to Hall's Croft, home of Susanna Shakespeare and her husband, which was cute and stuff, but I mostly went because 1) it's cold outside, 2) my birthplace ticket covers this as well, and 3) I was handed a 50% off coupon at the Hall's Croft Cafe, which is actually pretty nice. You know, I've never eaten at a restaurant alone before, and I can tell people wonder why. It's a little weird I guess. But whatevs.

(PS- I love how I've taught my phone that word. It just pointed out that my spelling was wrong - its "whatevs" NOT "watevs". Obviously.)

And that's basically it. I'm having an early night because it's Sunday and the buses don't run later than seven, and also I'm exhausted from yesterday. Shane I couldn't have stayed for the finishing up of the River Festival or go to the Ping Pong Village Fete or see the free outdoor play (but those last two were because of the torch, not the bus) but oh we'll! Always next time.

And I think I will come back to Stratford. It's a wonderful place, kind of like Denton in a way, with it's community vibe and upbeat culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment