Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 27: Shopping in Falmouth Town

First of all, I would like everyone to join me in admiring the new shoes I bought at ASDA (UK's WalMart), as long as you ignore my horrible TOMS tan. I am glad to welcome a pair of floral flats to my admittedly large (shut up) shoe collection. Yay! I feel cute! :D Maybe I will actually fit in with the classily floral-clad youth over here instead of my usual bedraggled (but practical!) vacation attire that I am so sick of.

I also bought a new swimsuit at ASDA, as I do almost every time I come here, because swimsuits over here fit my figure so much better than American ones. American swimsuits seem to be blind to the fact that some of us do actually have boobs and need more than just little fabric triangles to be comfortable. So thanks, Britain, for your innovative swimsuit designs! Huzzah!

Thirdly, I bought yet another book for under three pounds. This will be my fourth book purchase of this trip and I'm beginning to be concerned about space, but not concerned enough to not read anything for the next week when I'm on such a roll! I have read five books so far -- FIVE books in three weeks, four of them in the last five days! Oh my god, I had almost forgotten what it was like to have time to read. The book I bought is called Her Fearful Symmetry and it's by Audrey Niffenegger, who wrote Time Traveler's Wife. That's honestly the only reason I picked it up (it was fate, I swear - I walked into the shop, picked up a book, saw her name, and was out of there in three minutes, prize in hand), but I trust her completely to have written another brilliant read.

Other than that, we wandered around Falmouth's High Street, looking in Cornish shops and watching the water. At one point we found the Falmouth Theatre Company's rehearsal space, and we went in and talked to the three people who were building the set for their upcoming show, Theft. Too bad I won't be around to see it, but their program seemed remarkably -- and charmingly -- similar to Denton's Campus Theatre. They were very cute, though. One old man who was talking to us must have lit five matches to light his pipe but each time they'd burn out before he'd stopped talking long enough to use it, so he'd just throw it on the floor and light up another one. It was very quaint. :)

Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures of any of this because my phone was dead. So just use your imagination, I guess.

Then we went to the beach for a while. Enjoy these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment