Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 21: Liverpool, City of the Mersey Beat!

This city is so proud of its (rather awesome) musical history. Seriously, not only is everything a reference to the Beatles, but everyone legitimately loves them. The city has retained, through decades of pilgrimages of tourists, the badassness that made the Beatles who they are.

Also, for the first time on this trip (besides the Canadian cyclist girl in Stratford whom I helped book a cheap train ticket to the coast), I made some friends! Sort of.

First is Jen. She's from China and her name is unfortunately too complicated for me to pronounce. So, Jen. She has lived in Sweden for four years and so has a very strange accent, though she speaks good English. Today we went to The Beatles Story museum together, though we ended up losing each other and going separate ways. But the museum was kind of neat - very processed, if that makes sense, but I learned a lot. It did, as my guidebook said it would, gloss over some of the grittier aspects of Beatles history, like the influence of drugs and sex on their music and personalities. And there was not one unconservative picture of John and/or Yoko, which disappointed me because the edgier pictures are some of my favorites. But generally I love Beatles/early rock n roll photography because it's so characteristic and raw and gritty, but there's something clean about it too, something un-alarming, unlike the music photography of, say, the 80s and 90s (think Nirvana). Not that I don't like that kind of photography, too, it's just...different. And I liked the black and white better. :)

Anyway, my second "friend". This one I hesitate to call a friend because I suspect he may have ulterior motives (very strongly suspect, in fact). He asked to sit with me at breakfast (which was weird because I was having a very serious phone conversation at the time) and then proceeded to flirt unashamedly with me (which was confusing because I looked awful, and I'm not making that up - I literally looked at myself in the mirror this morning, flinched, then said, "Eh. Who am I trying to impress?"). So this poor guy's from Beaumont, Texas (go figure) where he studies history. I get the impression that he came to Liverpool exclusively to go to clubs. He's nice, in an arrogant sort of way, I suppose. We talked again before dinner (about his school plans, his affected British accent, his trip, his love of cars, his clubbing adventures...you get the idea). But at least he's someone to have a conversation with, and at least I can be reassured that three weeks of silence haven't totally numbed my social skills. Still, I wish Skylar was here to reciprocate his flirtations. (hahaha just kidding. Sort of. :-P)

But that's basically totally irrelevant, so I will get back to my day. After the museum, I wondered around for a while and eventually got on the Magical Mystery Tour bus, guided by a super awesome Liverpudlian man who played John Lennon in the film 'In His Life: John Lennon". He was incredibly knowledgable, and his accent, coupled with his very Beatles-esque humor, had me laughing the whole time. Seriously, if you're ever in Liverpool, this is the tour to take. We saw the church where Paul auditioned and failed to join the church choir, the stadium that was built for Paul, the original sites where the Quarrymen played, all of the houses they each lived in in Liverpool, all of the parks and roads and shops that had any relevance at all to them, Penny Lane, and, of course, Strawberry Fields. I swear I learned a ton of stuff about them, but it's not the kind of stuff I can just spout out, or I would - it'll come to me randomly when the context is right and I'll be able to show off my superior Beatles knowledge. :)

The tour ended at the Cavern Club, which, to my surprise, is not primarily a tourist destination but still functions as an operating club, pub, bar, and venue for artists famous and brand new. Everyone you've ever heard of has played there, from Bo Diddley to Bob Dylan to Adele. When I went in a guy was playing (really good) acoustic covers of Beatles and Beatles-related songs. That the sound is awesome down there was a definite plus. I will certainly have to go back there one might to see a big performance.

Anyway, that's basically it. Liverpool's a really, really neat town, and there's a lot to do, but it's really not an easily navigable place by public transport. Walking's okay, but the hostel is just far enough away that it's annoying to walk that far to go anywhere. And I have there full days here, so it will be fine. Still, this would be a really fun place to come with friends - full of dancing and music and stuff. But oh we'll. Next time.

PS - The Penny Lane sign is barely a day old. In fact, I'm sure that particular sign is no longer there. The city has to replace it almost every day. Haha.

PSS - As you can see, I have given up on taking good pictures. I'm completely sick of my phone camera. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment