Sunday, October 21, 2012

Life Update

So not much of the "exciting" variety has been happening the last couple of weeks. Mostly studying and Netflix and half-price sushi. But here are just a couple of things because I haven't posted in forever.

The guys played possibly their best show at one of the most awesome Open Ranges yet. 

I went to see my mom's beautiful new pedestrian bridge open up to get the students to the stadium, which was pretty awesome.

\

I explored the tailgating labyrinth with all of these people (AKA, basically every frat boy and sorority girl at UNT). 

And I got to watch the nationally televised football game from the (incredibly nice) President's box, even though I only stayed for about 90 seconds of the action playing. 
 

And finally, I got to watch George Watsky perform his famous spoken-word poetry on his tour, which was seriously incredible. I was also impressed by the spoken-word talent here at UNT. Such a cool art form.  




Watching Watsky, it really hit me what kinds of things my generation is doing for culture. Thirty years ago, a twenty-two-year-old kid like George Watsky (who's an Emerson College grad, by the way) wouldn't get the chance to travel around for a living, performing original poetry for college students and getting paid for doing it. But because of the Internet, because of the sheer power of YouTube, this kid--and many others like him--are exposed to millions and millions of people, opening up a whole mine of new audiences with an inexhaustible hunger for new art, new words, new opinions and perspectives. Maybe one in a thousand people like spoken word poetry. Maybe that's not enough to give it a location-specific home. But today, location is irrelevant. Our networks connect us instantly with everyone in America--in the whole world--who share our tastes, which gives small-time artists a chance they never would have had in any other time. 

I just think that's so cool. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure George Watsky is coming to my school too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH. You should watch Andrea Gibson.

    ReplyDelete