Friday, September 28, 2012

Oh, what a day!

Do you know that feeling you get when you do something good after a really long, really important day you've been dreading for ages? You know, that Doing-Something-With-Your-Life euphoria that comes from taking the hardest test you've ever taken, followed by more tests, followed by signing up to be a Fiction Reader for the North Texas Review, UNT's literary magazine? And what if even after all that, it's finally the weekend? And on top of that, add in a little of that friend-making magic that comes from having a really awesome conversation with a really awesome person you've just met?

If you know what I mean, you're probably actually me, because that's how I feel right now. I may or may not have bombed my English test (SO.  MUCH.  SHAME. O_O), but it wasn't for lack of ability. It's just not fair to hand an English major a test with twelve potentially five page essays and ask them to be done in fifty minutes. Seriously. I explicated the poems, I analyzed the quotes, but my mind was like


as I tried to regurgitate all of my thoughts onto the page in six and a half minutes.

Not fun times.

(Still, I really want that picture to show up when you Google search my name. Like really.) 

But some of my horror was eased when I went to the North Texas Review meeting and finally found a place where I think I will belong. I mean, this is what I want to do with my life--read people's art, make it better, and put it out in the world. Not to mention the tour of the publishing facility here at UNT that I get to go on, or the chance to meet a bunch of fascinating, talented people.

This year I think I'll stick with being a reader and maybe an assistant editor. But in the future I hope to work my way up to an Editor position, and maybe ultimately Editor-in-Chief, one day. :)

Well, c'est ma vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment