Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wichita Mountains!

Last Saturday Jackson and I drove three hours north to the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma (which we've pretty much decided is the only place worth going in Oklahoma...)


We wasted no time and soon discovered that our camp site was the feeding grounds of choice to a mother deer and her baby!

(pictures coming soon.........)

Then we saw buffalo and more buffalo:




Drove to the top of the tallest and oldest of the mountains, Mt. Scott, to look out over all of Oklahoma:





And, after locking my keys in my car and learning that one of the jobs of a police officer is breaking into vehicles for absent-minded people like myself, we climbed (literally climbed) the baby mountain Little Baldy right near our campsite:




The next day, we woke up to a flock of wild turkeys harassing our deer friends. Unfortunately, they were gone before we could get pictures. But then we hiked up the ~600ft Elk Mountain, a long and arduous 4-mile round-trip journey of impressive views and massive rocks:




Finally, we packed up and left as quickly as we could, sore and dirty and sunburned and tired. Three hours later, after driving twenty miles in the wrong direction out of Wichita Falls and missing the turn off for Denton (seriously), we made it home and I'm pretty sure I died for twelve hours immediately afterward. 

It was fun and exciting and adventurous and pretty and buffalo-tastic, but Jesus, I am done with camping for the next several years if I can help it. Twice in one school year is more than enough. Bleh. 


1 comment: